There is much confusion and controversy in some parts of Christendom concerning what is often referred to as the “Prosperity Gospel” and today let’s face this head on!
First of all, let me clarify one thing.
There is no such thing as a “Prosperity Gospel” – there is only ONE Gospel and that is summed up in John 3:16.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whosoever should believe in HIM will not perish but have everlasting life.
Before continuing, let us check out that word “believe”. This is not a passive verb, but an active one. The devils also believe (passively) in God but they are trembling and perishing. So passive belief is not enough.
The word “believe” found in John 3:16, carries the meaning of “to entrust to, to commit” in the original Greek language. We could sum it up saying that it means to actively commit your life to Christ and trusting Him with it.
Jesus promises abundance:
Now in the 10th Chapter of the Gospel of John, Jesus Himself made a declaration which can only be interpreted in one way. God’s Will for ALL of His children is abundance!
The thief comes only to steal, slaughter, and destroy. I have come that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
What is abundance? Prosperity!
Warning: Living in prosperity does not mean you waste your life away playing with exorbitant toys and luxurious living.
Don’t get me wrong – enjoying luxury is not in itself against God’s Will.
We are talking about your central LIFE FOCUS. Why do you REALLY want to achieve prosperity?
If you are focused on achieving prosperity simply to be able to squander your riches on yourself and luxurious living then you have missed your destiny (your life purpose).
Your true destiny:
- You were born to use riches as a TOOL to achieve your life purpose.
- You were born, a champion destined to win in life. This is why you need to train (or develop) yourself in order to be the best you can be.
- You were born with a mind and heart filled with creativity. (You are made in the image of a Creative God). God expects you to apply that creativity towards achieving the destiny in your heart.
- Above all you were born to make a difference in this world. Your destiny includes making a difference in the lives of others.
Achieving abundance does not come easily:
The lazy way to riches is not God’s will. The whole book of Proverbs tells us that in so many ways. Also, let’s go back to the Gospel of John, this time we are looking at 1:12.
However, to all who received him, to those believing in his name, he gave authority to become God’s children,
That word “become” let’s us know that it will not happen overnight.
Neither will it happen without effort.
Did you grow from being a child to becoming an adult without effort? (That word “children” in John 1:12 means “fully mature adult children” in the original Greek language).
No – you had to learn, to develop, to exercise, to overcome!
In the same way, in order to become an mature adult child of God, a Champion that is ready to win and achieve their destiny, it will take:
- Training your mind (Personal Development)
- Training your body to stay healthy with right nutrition and exercise.
- Training your spirit with God’s Word every day.
- There is only ONE Gospel – and prosperity is a part of it.
- Overnight or easy riches or prosperity is not a part of God’s plan.
- God expects you to DEVELOP what He has given you so you become a fully mature, prosperous and victorious champion adult child of God.
Beloved, in regard to all things I pray that you prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers. (Third Epistle of Juan 1:2)
I highly recommend you read Ray Edwards latest post: The True Secret of Success